Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Journey by Randi Lynn Mrvos



Journey 
by Randi Lynn Mrvos

Thank you for inviting me to guest blog.  Many know me as a writer and the editor of Kid’s Imagination Train ezine http://www.kidsimaginationtrain.com   What people may not know is that I live in Kentucky, the bluegrass state.  There’s good reason for the state nickname.  In the spring, the rolling hills of horse country are carpeted in bluish-green grass (if you squint your eyes).  Though my husband and I love Lexington, the winters can get cold, rainy, and gray.  So, since we both have share November birthdays, we decided to escape the chilly weather and celebrate in New Orleans. 

Several months before leaving on vacation, I pulled out an old manuscript, Maggie and the Summer Vacation Show and Tell.  It was a big dream of mine to get this picture book manuscript published.  For six years, Maggie was continually revised and submitted.  Close to 50 publishers rejected it.  I loved this story and didn’t want to give up on it, so I hired an editorial consultant.  After considering her advice, I edited once more and submitted the story to more five agents.  But a few days prior to going to New Orleans, two rejections rolled in.  That wasn’t a great way to start a vacation, but I wasn’t going to let a little bad news ruin our birthdays.   

 
When we arrived in the Big Easy our first stop was Café du Monde for warm beignets dusted in powdered sugar.  Yum-o!  Though we had time to take a boat ride into the bayou, we opted not to.  The thought of getting close and personal with alligators was not my cup of tea.  Instead, we explored the French Quarter, listened to jazz, toured a plantation and the Garden District, ate spicy Cajun food, and visited Chalmette Battlefield in the Ninth Ward.  

One evening just before going out for dinner I checked my email.  Scrolling down, I found a curious message. An agent wrote:  I like your book!  Holy moly.  Talk about an amazing birthday present!  This six-year-old story had received three prizes, but it never won one the heart of publisher.  Until now.  


Maggie was conceived in Lexington, Kentucky and became a book in New Orleans.  But Maggie is more than a book.  It symbolizes a journey—the journey of following a dream and of never giving up. 

Randi's book, Maggie and the Summer Vacation Show and Tell will be released summer of 2017 by Cactus Moon Publishing.




Randi was born in Louisville, Kentucky, home of the Louisville Slugger. Her parents steered her toward the medical field. Randi attended the University of Kentucky and earned her degree in medical technology even though she loved to write stories for kids. Twenty years later she returned to her passion of writing for children. Randi lives in Lexington with her husband and cat Ozzie.




1 comment:

Evelyn said...

Congratulations, Randi, on your forthcoming book! What an exciting time for you. Thanks for sharing about your special birthday gift.