Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Escucha Means Listen


 

by Talia Aikens-Nuñez


 Today, I'd like to welcome one of Musa's new picture book writers, Talia Aikens-Nuñez. Welcome Talia, and congratulations on your release! Tell us a little about Escucha Means Listen.


Thank you. To give you a little background, Escucha Means Listen introduces children and toddlers to all the sounds around them. From the mowing of the lawn to the splish-splashing of rain puddles, it takes you on a journey through your environment (with or without a child) in English and Spanish. I wrote this 'first experience' book to introduce my daughter to Spanish. I am a limited Spanish speaker but I wanted her to be exposed to another language besides English. Thus I created this book, and a few others, that are written mostly in English but sprinkled with Spanish. It starts loudly and ends softly so it is also a nice and calming bedtime book.

The book sounds wonderful, Talia, and so needed for young children to be exposed to other languages, as well as for Hispanic children to have something to relate to. Tell us a little about yourself.


I wanted to be a meteorologist, a politician and a lawyer. I never thought I would be a writer. It was the birth of my daughter that caused me to start writing. Raising a bilingual child inspired me to write lyrical children’s books. These ‘first experience’ books introduce Spanish to children and parents too! My family loves nature so much that me and my husband vowed that we will always try to live close to water. My husband and I live on a river in Connecticut with our daughter Isabella.
 

Children are such a great inspiration, Talia. It's always nice to know the story behind the story. Here is an excerpt from Escucha Means Listen:


Buzz. Buzz. Qué oyes? (What do you hear?)
Las abejas (The bees) circling the flowers.

Woosh. Woosh. What do you hear?
El viento (The wind) is whistling by.

Shh. Shh. Qué oyes? (What do you hear?)
Las hojas (The leaves) are dancing on the trees.

Thank you so much for being here to share your story, Talia, and good luck with Escucha Means Listen, and your future books.

To learn more about Talia and her new book, visit her website: talia-aikens-nunez.vpweb.com


Escucha Means Listen can be purchases at http://musapublishing.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=465, or wherever e-books are sold.

8 comments:

Sara Daniel said...

My daughter spent K-6 in her elementary school's dual language Spanish/English program. It was a great experience. I only wish I could have provided better home support for the Spanish learning. Finding books in both Spanish and English was extremely helpful.

Rita Monette, Writer said...

I love your cover, Talia. It is so colorful. Can't wait to see the inside illustrations!

Sharon Ledwith said...

Congrats on your new release, Talia! Rita is bang-on, you certainly have a beautiful cover! Cheers and best wishes for a successful publishing career!

Vonnie said...

A brilliant idea, Talia. And I love the attention-grabbing cover. Hope you've approached some schools with this one.

Eleni Konstantine said...

This is wonderful, Talia. I think my nephews will love this.

Talia said...

Vonnie,

Thank you. Yes, I have been approaching schools. The independent schools have been much more open to it than the school systems. But, more articles like the one the New York Times wrote last Wednesday will open a pathway to the school systems for Escucha Means Listen and other books like it.

Talia

Talia said...

Sara,

A friend of mine loves the book for the same reason. Her daughter is in a dual language (English/Spanish) program and it is not so Spanish heavy that it would intimidate a non-Spanfish speaking parent or teacher.

Talia

Talia said...

Rita, Sharon and Eleni,

Thank you! The illustrations are just are bright and vibrant. I can't wait until we're done with the follow-up, Buenos Dias Means Good Morning.

Talia